m: +27 (0) 82 900 1383 

Slide background
Slide background

Lutzville

The town of Lutzville was originally named Vlermuisklip (Bat Rock) after a famous landmark rock situated in Lutzville. This famous rock is now home to the ever popular KLIPHUIS, al fresco eatery, where the most delectable meals are served to compliment the areas sort after wines.

Lutzville later took its name in honour of John Lutz, the chief irrigation engineer who pioneered the impressive Clanwilliam Dam.

The breath-taking Sishen-Saldanha railway bridge was constructed across the main road (R363) to Vredendal. The wine farm on which Melkboomsdrift Guest House stands, is situated beneath this awesome structure. Over a kilometer long, the longest known train in the world traverses this railway bridge daily carrying the iron ore for which this impressive bridge was originally built.

Wine, grapes, currants, raisins and sultanas are all locally produced in the area. Vegetables also form an integral part of this areas agricultural production. Tomatoes are canned at the local canning factory in Lutzville.

Should you decide to take in a game of golf, don't miss the 19th hole as this is in the tasting room of the local winery!